Assistant Professor of Marketing, and holder of both the Chase Minority Entrepreneurship Distinguished Professorship and Dr. John V. Connor Professorship in Economics and Finance
Dr. Bauer is an Assistant Professor of Marketing in the College of Business at Loyola University New Orleans, and holder of both the Chase Minority Entrepreneurship Distinguished Professorship and John V. Conner Endowed Professorship. She earned her dual Ph.D. in marketing and international business from Saint Louis University in 2019. Furthermore, she received a Certificate for University Teaching Skills from the Center of Teaching Excellence and a Research Methods Minor during her doctoral studies.
Dr. Bauer is the faculty director of the CoB Behavioral Lab, where she is responsible for designating the policies, procedures, and research studies that are conducted in the lab. Her major research interests are centered on consumer and cross-cultural consumer behavior. In particular, she is interested in understanding consumer psychological attachments and social judgements, and how marketing communications can speak directly to these perceptions. She frequently explores these topics within different contexts, such as how they manifest in consumer-brand relationships, celebrity endorsements, and international marketing.
In honor of her scholarly achievements, Dr. Bauer received the 2019-2020, 2020-2021, and 2021-2022 College of Business Outstanding Research Awards. Her work has been published in well-respected journals such as the International Journal of Research in Marketing, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Advertising, Psychology & Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Journal of Product & Brand Management, and Academy of Management Perspectives. Dr. Bauer has an extensive research pipeline currently under review at top marketing and international business journals, and her work has also been noted in the media. She is an editorial review board member and ad-hoc reviewer for various academic journals. Moreover, Dr. Bauer is an active member of the American Marketing Association, Academy of Marketing Science, and Academy of International Business, and has performed various leadership roles for their respective annual meetings. She has also earned several Best Reviewer and Best Paper Awards at these national and international conferences.
Dr. Bauer worked in the field of marketing for a few years before deciding to pursue a vocation in academia. During the practitioner period of her career, she created and managed multiple marketing campaigns for organizations in the sports industry, as well as launched and maintained their social media presences. Prior to that, she worked on an international consulting team that crafted an Israeli firm’s market expansion plan. This included formulating a new international approach for targeting the small donor population, designing content for an integrated online presence, and creating promotions to augment the current donor-organization relationship and enhance donor loyalty. Her managerial and personal international experiences contributed significantly to her pursuit of a doctoral degree in marketing and international business. Furthermore, this also motivates the relevance of her research for practitioners, and allows her to provide valuable real-world insights in the classroom.
- Bauer, B. & Johnson, C. (Forthcoming). I thought my idea to use your idea was a great idea: Inadvertent plagiarism in marketing. Journal of Advertising.
- Johnson, C., Bauer, B., & Arnold, M. (2022). The effect of brand crises on endorser reputation and endorsement portfolios. Psychology & Marketing, 39(7), 1385-1397.
- Bauer, B., Carlson, B., & Johnson, C. (2022). The match-up hypothesis revisited: Matching social judgments and advertising messaging in celebrity endorsements. European Journal of Marketing, 56(3), 869-898.
- Johnson, C., Bauer, B., & Carlson, B. (2022). Constituency building: Determining consumers’ willingness to participate in corporate political activities. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 39.
- Johnson, C., Bauer, B., Kelting, K., Jankuhn, N., & Sim, W. (2021). Location, location… mailing location? The impact of address as a signal. Journal of Business Research, 128, 326-337.
- Johnson, C., Bauer, B., & Niederman, F. (2021). The automation of management and business science. Academy of Management Perspectives, 35(2), 1-18.
- Carlson, B., Donavan, T., Deitz, G., Bauer, B., & Lala V. (2020). A customer-focused approach to improve celebrity endorser effectiveness. Journal of Business Research, 109, 221-235.
- Johnson, C., Bauer B., & Singh, N. (2020). Exploring flow in the mobile interface context. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 53.
- Johnson, C., Bauer, B., Ascencio, C., & Kuang, Y. (2019). Priming from the pulpit: Extending regulatory focus theory to faith-based services. Nonprofit Management & Leadership, 29(3), 437-447.
- Bauer, B. C., Johnson, C. D., & Singh, N. (2018). Place-brand stereotypes: Does stereotype-consistent messaging matter?. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 27(7), 754-76.
Loyola University New Orleans
College of Business
6363 St. Charles Ave., Box 15
New Orleans, LA 70118